Somalia Militants Attack Hotel in Mogadishu, 20 Killed

0
Saturday October 28, 2017 - 22:02:02 in Latest News by Super Admin
  • Visits: 580
  • (Rating 0.0/5 Stars) Total Votes: 0
  • 1 0
  • Share via Social Media

    Somalia Militants Attack Hotel in Mogadishu, 20 Killed

    MOGADISHU (Horn Observer) At least 20 people were killed and dozens were wounded on Saturday afternoon after Somali Militants attacked a hotel in the heart of the Somali Capital Mogadishu, witnesses and officials said.

    Share on Twitter Share on facebook Share on Digg Share on Stumbleupon Share on Delicious Share on Google Plus

Aftermath of the attack at Nasahablood 2. Photo credit: SONNA
MOGADISHU (Horn Observer) At least 20 people were killed and dozens were wounded on Saturday afternoon after Somali Militants attacked a hotel in the heart of the Somali Capital Mogadishu, witnesses and officials said.

Witnesses said that a large truck filled with explosives exploded at the Nasa Hablood 2 Hotel on Saturday afternoon outside the entrance of the hotel followed by a firefight that killed at least 20, among them Somali officials.

"I am still hearing the firefight inside the hotel” Ahmed Mohamoud, a resident in Mogadishu said in an interview.

Witness Hassan Abdi, told the State media that "They have collected  20-25 bodes from the scene of Saturday's attack."


The Hotel, which is owned by the current federal minister of Security Mohamed Abukar Islow Duale, is frequented by the government officials and lawmakers.

Among the prominent people so far reportedly killed in the attack include Mohamed Yusuf Nor, Daynile Police Commissioner, Abdinasir Gaarane, a former lawmaker and member of the national army fund trustees and Madobe Nunow Mohamed, interior minister of Southwest State of Somalia.

As of late late Saturday night, hotel siege continued and  firefight could still be heard and the death toll could rise any time.

Shabab, a Somali Militant affiliated to Alqaeda immediately claimed the responsibility for the attack.

The attack comes amid the Somali government is planning a big offensive against the Shabab, following the 14 October attack, which claimed the lives of more than 300 civilians.  Somali government blamed Alshabaab for the attack, though the group did not claim the responsibility of that attack.

Shabab remains a potential security threat despite losing large swaths of territories to the AMISOM and Somali National Army.

- Horn Observer -


Leave a comment

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip